Sunday, May 4, 2014

Awaking Imagination Through Sonlight


Bright covers, a smell that awakens the imagination, endless portals to other worlds -- books.

Starting in second grade (or so I think), my family would receive a large box in the mail containing all the books we would need for the year as we followed the Sonlight curriculum. 

The receiving of this box soon became the highlight of my year, second only to my birthday. I could hardly contain (actually I couldn't contain it at all) my excitement as I sorted the dozens of books. Yes, I most definitely judged the books by their covers. To this day, I have a distinct dislike for Wheel on the School because my seven-year-old was instantly put-off by the illustration on the front. 

However, my experience with Sonlight extended past the elation of receiving a stock pile of books: my love of other worlds, whether they be historical-fiction, fiction, or biographies, flourished and is still an integral part of me today. (Future post)

I know other homeschoolers can relate to the stockpile of books a family amasses over the years.
What is your favorite book?
Whatever your educational background is, I hope you enjoyed reading this homeschooler's thoughts. 
Live long and prosper, 
J



No comments:

Post a Comment